Concrete fencepost advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening
Thanks to all the heavy winds and the previous owner fence erecting skills I’m gona have a go and install a new fence using concrete slotted posts (which I have never done before) ,I have a couple of novice questions if anyone could advise me .
For a 6 ft fence with either a 150 mm or 300 mm gravel boards , I’ve been looking at 100 mm x 100 mm posts but just noticed some merchants do a 100 mm x 125 mm post , do you think the 5 x 4 would be a better choice and depth wise should I be looking at a 2.6 post which will allow them to be buried 600 mm or would a 2.4 m poste buried at a depth of around 400 mm suffice .
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
125 x 100 post slightly better resistance to weathering and future cracking/spalling but depends on quality of concrete mainly. 600 deep unless you want something to do after the next high winds

Cheers
Regarding the posts cracking and Spalding is there a particular make you recommend ? I’ve noticed a big difference in price between the likes of jt atkinsons and some online retailers , I did wonder if the quality would be greatly reduced .
Has anyone tried post hole diggers ? I would normally use a spade or spit but wondered if the scissor type post hole digger would keep the hole neater and be a tad easier to dig all the holes.
Thanks again

No particular brand in mind, depends what local merchants hold, just look at quality of concrete finish, nice and dense or open textured. Even then its a lottery as you don't know the cement content and how well the reinforcement was positioned. I use a clay or trench spade for nice neat holes, never used a scissor type digger as unless I did a lot of fencing work it would just be stuck in the garage

Sponsored Links
For a 6' high fence i would use 100 x 100 x 2400 posts concreted 600mm in the ground, 150mm gravel board with a 1650mm fence panel.
I have always found the slightly rougher finish to better overall quality. Additional water is normally added to achieve the really smooth finish when vibrated and in my opinion this usually results in a slightly weaker concrete mix. You need to be careful handling the smooth posts as they chip easily. Similarly with gravel boards i find the recessed type better quality...and lighter. You only have to look at the smooth ones and they crack.
Don't know what area you are in but in the south east I would normally pay about £17.00 for 8' post and about £12.00 for a 6" gravel board.
Good Luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back