Galvanised wire netting - 50mm or 25mm hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum Members,

I want to put up wire netting on the fences of my garden so that climber plants can use them for support. The fences use concrete slotted posts, concrete gravel boards and featheredge fence panels.

I am confused whether to get wire netting with 50mm "hole" or with 25 mm "hole". The 2 options I am looking at right now are:
(a) Apollo Wire Netting galvanised - 25m x 600mm x 25mm - £33.05
(b) Apollo Wire Netting galvanised - 25m x 900mm x 50mm - £32.85

The advantage with the 25mm wire netting is that (I think) it will be stronger. Drawback is that it is available only in smaller widths.

The advantage with the 50mm wire netting is that it is available in a wider width (900mm). Drawback might be that it is not as strong as the 25mm option.

Cost is not a major criterion. Since I plan to do this only once for a long time I do not mind spending a bit more if it is better in the long term

I need your advice on the following fronts:
(1) Which hole size should I go for and why?
(2) How should I attach the netting to the fence?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
No idea about the gauge, but I've attached various galvanised and plastic coated netting to concrete posts in the following manner which have lasted for some time now:

Attach treated timber strips to the concrete posts using a decent waterproof grab adhesive, and then when set attach the netting to the wood using galvanised staples.

Sponsored Links
I would say 50mm holes (or bigger!) would be best, as the mesh will be less obvious and there's no need for a smaller hole.

The gauge (thickness) of the wire will mainly determine the strength

Our neighbour had some old scruffy looking wire netting that was about 2" darn stuff lasted for years!
Wind rain and almost bomb proof I shouldn't wonder. ;)
Nice new stuff should last years.

Try here too

http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/netting.html

free delivery too.

I am just about to order some too, to make up rabbit fences around my vegetable beds. This place seams the cheapest online and looks to have a variety of mesh options, including PVC coated.

I think the larger size would be better for your situation, but try and get thicker wire

I finally ended up using "Apollo Wire Netting galvanised - 25m x 900mm x 50mm" and it looks and works fine.

It is strong enough to support most things you can grow in a garden. The holes are large enough to not make it look very messy or "full". I have 2 clematis plants that are quite happily growing on the netting.

I will post a photo in 6 months time to show their progress.

Thanks for your advice everybody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back