Attach wire mesh to fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to attach this wire mesh:-

www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-50mm-galvanised-wire-netting-0-6-x-10m/55438?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Outdoor and Gardening&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Outdoor and Gardening-_-Shopping - Outdoor and Gardening&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GneYbQHHQZfY0aF2KhcohNjp60CG_6pcATRalZHiwaEaAsFY8P8HAQ

To the type of fence shown in the attached picture.

Wire mesh needs to effectively sit in the gap between the vertical straps on either side of the fence, and be secure at three bottom and top. Gap between vertical panels is approx 1 inch.

Suppose the question is, what is best to use you secure the mesh to the vertical wooden straps, given that I've got around an inch width to try and get a hammer into!

Aim is to keep out the bunnies that are munching our plants!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The fence looks like it's on the flimsy borderline from here......do you think staples or whatever would give it a hard time when knocking them in?
Consider stainless screws and penny washers, maybe?
John :)

I don't think bunnies will get through that fence, under, or round it , yes, but not through it.

Bunnies will just tunnel under the fence, so you need to bury the mesh a foot down if you want to keep them out.

Poor little bunnies need to eat, you know.

Sponsored Links
I may be missing something here but if the gaps between the verticals are one inch and the holes in the netting are 50mm why does the netting need to go so far up the fence?
litl

The fence looks like it's on the flimsy borderline from here......do you think staples or whatever would give it a hard time when knocking them in?
Consider stainless screws and penny washers, maybe?
John :)
Went with this one and worked a treat.

Ended up changing the mesh from 50mm to 13mm and have buried a foot deep.

The bunnies can go and munch someone else - not on or £20m plant salad bar!

I would go ahead and use a woven or welded stainless steel (Something like this - www.bwire.com ) instead of this cheap, flimsy galvanized material You will absolutely pay more money - but in the end, if you want a solid fence that you will not have to repair year after year, this is the only way to go.

Buy the material you need, and use CABLE TIES! (Can be purchased at Home Depot or Hardware Store) These are the best things around to fasten this type of metal material. They hold the mesh tight to the fence, are easy to use, and stand the test of time because of their strength!

Galvanized material also can be hazardous to animals due to the coating on the outside of the metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back