Fence : 11 metres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just after a bit of guidance, pls ...
Replacing old fence, so thinking of

8' slotted concrete posts
1'x6' concrete gravel boards
3'x6' decking boards (cut from boards 3.9mx28x145) six laid on their sides on top of each other with a 100mm gap between them (=3ft approx high)
2'x6' square trellis (above horizontal decking boards)
Post-fix & other fixings.

As gravel boards are 6', I'll cut decking to match. It may need vertical timbers to secure the decking in the post slots, to stop vibrating in high wind (we are in a wind tunnel caused by buildings) & the decking could be screwed in to these verticals. Am thinking the 1cm gap between each horizontal board will allow for wind & for a bit of sunlight to pass through, as the fencing will make one side of the garden v. dark in winter/spring.

Would it make sense to screw a vertical piece of timber
up the middle of each 'panel' also, which could then, I suppose, also attach to the trellis in the middle ?
And, more importantly, will the concrete posts take the weight of the decking & trellis. Am hoping to find a fencer who will build the whole thing & put the posts in 2' deep.
Am asking, as I don't want to be caught out by not having thought the thing through properly & the idea of using decking only occurred to me last week: all other fencing seems very cumbersome & flimsy at the same time. Tks in advance also for any extra tips !

Sponsored Links
Tx Harry, but I liked the look of the decking (as fencing) on a local house - looks more modern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back