New fences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy/hard is it to install four fences, posts and gravel boards etc? What height posts will I need if using 1ft high gravel boards, 6ft fences & 1ft trellis?
Any tips?

Sponsored Links
assuming it is level ground then you want to be using 10 feet posts as a minimum.

Its fairly easy if you are used to doing it. Dont use metposts, concrete the posts in properly. I would personally always recomend closeboard fencing to my customers as it is much stronger and lasts much longer. It is that much more expensive to install either, But if you are a novice then it is easier to install panels.

If its panels then put in the post at each end and get it levelled up. run a string line between the two. Level up teh ground for the gravel board, and then mark the location of the next hole. Dig that. Fix the board and fence to the first post and then put the next post in against taht. You can now level it up and get it plumbed against the string line. Concrete it in position with a dry mix of concrete and ram it well in. Repeat all teh way along. at the end pour water onto the concrete.

That is basically it, but you may have some variances such as a sloping site or need for half panels etc.

Cheers that helps, can I not buy closeboard panels? Is it a two man job and why the higher posts?

you can buy closeboard panels from fencing suppliers, much stronger than lap panels.

The higher posts are becasue they need to be buried in the ground. rule of thumb is 1/3 of the height above ground (ie 8 feet) determines the depth of posts foundation, so you really need a nother 2 1/2 feet, but the trellis will not take a lot wind loading so you may get away with 2 feet.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, this is why I sometimes like to do jobs myself. I had a quoute where one guy stated that 9ft posts would be ok! Do you have a website or anything? Not sure what part of UK yr in as I may have a go if I have the time, but will get in a pro if need be.

Ok probably but far... Im in Essex/East London. Yr advice helps still tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back