Concrete floor covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some suggestions on what to do with my downstairs floors please.

The house is a Lancastrian 3 bed terrace built circa 1920.

The front part of the ground floor (front reception room and the hall) consists of concrete which appears to have been asphalted, onto which floorboards have been nailed.

The rear reception room has limestone flags as the top layer, but I don't know what these are sitting on, probably concrete but I doubt there's a DPM anywhere.

I would like to replace the floorboards in the front part of the house and probably install a wooden floor over the top of the flags in the rear. Can anyone please offer some advice as to the best course of action on this job, i.e. would it be best to re-asphalt the front rooms, what would need to go over the flags to level and damp-proof them etc? At the moment the flags are sitting level, at the same height, with the boards in the hall and front room.

There is no immediate rush as it's something I intend doing next year, however it's good to start getting some plans in place so I can cost the jobs up.

Thanks all for any input.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back