Concrete floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just brought a bungalow with concrete floors, pulled up the 70's carpet and found that the floor has dropped approx 1/2 " to 1" from the skirting, this is mainly on the outer end walls. Been advised that the floors need to be dug up and relaid, tying them to the walls. This makes sense but sounds expensive.

Is there a drop/time that determines wether screeding or digging out and refilling is an option.

Sponsored Links
It's possibly no more than gradual compaction of the fill under the slab.

Only way to be sure is to dig a hole through and see what's underneath: any topsoil or soft amorphous peat, would probably require either pin-piling, or break-out and install suspended slabs; but, other than that, rescreeding or latexing over the existing will be all that is required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the replies.

noseall: no slope or hill, fairly level surface

^woody^: I actually considered that, but thought better of it.

Shytalkz: Your reply echos what I have been told, I best get a hole dug through and see whats underneath.

Appreciate the help

Seriously, if its settled this much in all this time, is it going to go any further?

Does it need all this investigation and possible remedial work?

Its only a problem if its a probelm!

No, I'd do what engineers normally advise ..... find the nearest tree and chop it down. lol

Clearly if the floor is all over the place then its a problem. What I mean is that the gap in itself is not a problem and if the floor has just settled a little, then is there any need for major investigation and remedial work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back