Concrete foundation/base for workshop, Advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, (first post by the way)
I'm soon to be tackling my first big project. I'm constructing a base for my new workshop (9mx5m) and need any advice people can give to help the process run smoother! I have an agreement with my dad who's been a chippy for 20+ years, he's going to build me a workshop but I have to have the foundation completed by April.
As far as my research goes I think I'm almost there;
1) dig hole
2) back fill with hardcore
3) top off with building sand
4) DPM
5) Rebar
6) Concrete
7) tamping
?????????

I was planning of framing the base with scaffold boards (as I saw this on another site) and I have grass around where I'm planning to construct.
I've ordered 7m3 of concrete think that's a about right?
I would appreciate any advise you can give.

Cheers,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Item 3 should be concreting sand and how about 4" of high density floor insulation. It'll make winter working much warmer

Do a proper strip footing with conc blocks or bricks upto dpc.
Doesn't matter what sand you go for, its only an inch on top of the hardcore. Insulation is wise though, 100mm of polystyrene or 70mm of celotex type should do for a garage.
Min 100mm each of hardcore and concrete, whacker plate the hardcore while you are laying it and go over the sand too, Or get a hand tamper if you like a bit of a workout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back