Concrete Hearth - To remove or not to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have been ripping down a lath and plaster ceiling that was in bad condition. One particular area was a bulge which I honestly thought was a brick that had pushed the plaster down.

After stripping the ceiling its obvious what was causing the bulge, a first floor concrete hearth that looks like it has been poured in-place.

What should I do with it - I don't think my drywall is going to be flush if I leave it there.

Is the thing safe - what's supporting it - is it causing a lot of load on the joists?

Images available here

Sponsored Links
Difficult to see the hearth clearly - the images keep flipping, can you stabilise them?

However, typically hearths were cast in place but rarely protruded below the joists. Your trimming seems to have quite a bit of filler off-cuts.

The poured hearth was held in place by ledgers tacked on to three sides of the "box".

Do you have pics of the top side hearth surface?

Does the hearth move at all? Pse dont go pushing it.

Note: i noticed something ref your DPC, and the blocked up fireplace, if you are interested.

I will take some closer pictures tonight and attach to this thread.

The thing doesn't move at all - and I'm very happy to apply "if it ant broke, don't fix"

My worry is if I remove that it will compromise the structure of the chimney

I have limited access to the other side do the room being full of stuff from the room we are renovating.

My untrained eye is telling me it sits proud of the joists - but I need a closer inspection.

Thanks

I'd leave it alone and batten out the whole ceiling and overboard.

Sponsored Links
is that process, attach wood to the underside of the joists and plasterboard to that?

What should I use as batons - is B&Q Treated CLS Timber any good?

is that process, attach wood to the underside of the joists and plasterboard to that?
Yes, that's it. Those old houses have usually got plenty of height to play with.

What should I use as batons - is B&Q Treated CLS Timber any good?
I avoid B and Q for battens, I seem to remember they only do 2.4m and limited sizes. A builder's yard is a much better source. I use 2x1 or 2x2 for this job, combined with window packers or the wedge type packers to level the ceiling. Find your low point (which is probably the hearth in your case but might not be) and work from there. This method has the added bonus of being able to fix new services to the underside of the joists rather than going through them. Perhaps you could strap underneath the hearth to several joists as well, if you're a bit nervous about it.

eek I'm sorry about the slide show on the blog - I might turn that feature off...

This baton idea is sounding more and more like a plan

I am worried the hearth is not secure - only because the previous ceiling has a "large" crack in it - but this could be from the pouring of the concrete

I have been reading and hacking at that thing would take a long time (I do have an angle grinder with a brick cutting saw)

I think I need to investigate whats upstairs - more to follow

OP,

Slow down, dont be so impulsive. You have come on here for advice - so, if you dont mind me saying so, take it.
Dont go jumping in, report back with what you've revealed and take further advice.
Be cautious and selective with what is offered in the thread.

I say the above because you could have had a large lump of concrete crashing down on whoever, or whatever. If not now, then later.

And why you have splintered a beautiful, old pitch pine margin around the hearth, i dont know?

Maybe set an old mattress (wrapped in an old carpet or off-cut of visqueen, and covered with a piece of ply or OSB) on the floor below the hearth. It will cushion any impact if it comes down.

The safest method for you as a DIY'er would be to set another "strap", use long screws (3" - 4") to pin them both, and then use a Kango, or similar, to chip away from one end of the hearth.

Note: i noticed in one pic your delightful apprentice standing on a canvas chair before a window. A bit risky.

Your absolutely right and I am being very careful with this.

The pine was already split on the left side and while lifting this it split the front part further.

The mattress idea is great I really don't want this thing cashing down as you say, it would put a hole in the floor.

We don't use that chair anymore, I now use a platform ladder. That photo was from when we moved in and had nothing.

I really appreciate your concern and I can be a little impulsive at times but trust me, I won't be trying anything to risky, hence me posting on here for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back