Repair lath and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice for repairing my ceiling. Firstly a bit of history. When we bought our house 15 years ago, the lath and plaster ceiling in the bedroom was damaged. We were told that the previous owner had been in the attic and stepped between the joists. His foot did not come through the ceiling, but some of the laths were broken and the ceiling bulges in this area.
We simply filled the cracks and painted over it and it has been fine. We have since had a loft extension, so can no longer access this area from above. We are going to be renting our property out and want to ensure that the ceiling is safe. I do not want to remove the whole ceiling as it I understand this this will cause a horrendous mess, especially when only a small area that is damaged. Is it possible to just repair this small area or would we need to have the whole ceiling plaster-boarded over?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a picture of the damage?

Could be a possibility of the damaged section removed the fix a baton either side between the joists then fix plasterboard to them and skim.

If you want it quick, tidy and good for a long time you could have it all overboarded and skimmed.

Sponsored Links
You can cut back all the damaged plaster and if the latehes are okay, then clean them and plaster onto them forcing the first coat thru.

Prick Coat
Scratch Coat (If needed)
Float Coat

Finish Coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back