Concrete path against dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm replacing a concrete path that ran round the side of the house which was level with the dpc. I've removed the path and found that some of the bricks below the dpc have perished (theyre a bit flakey) and have lots have white stains on them. I plan replace the path with blocks leaving a gap of six inches between the new path and the house and lower it as much as I can - I reckon I could lower it at the most a couple of inchess. The 6 inch gap between the new path and the house I'm planning to fill with pea shingle.

My question is should I be digging a small trench between the new path and the house and filling with pea shingle or just filling in the gap with shingle. Or should I just leave the gap open? I hoping that the pea shingle will help drain any water away to keep the bricks below the dpc drier to stop any further decay. Does this sound like the right thing to do or should I be trying to protect the bricks below the dpc with some sort of protective paint too?

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back