Concrete powdering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first thread if you could help!

Laid a concrete patio last year, about 3 x 3M but the surface has remained powdery, can be swept off continually and it gets on your shoes and it walks into the house, so I'm not to popular!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Is there a solution that can be put on to seal the surface permanently?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i am noyt a builder but i would guess the mix is wrong. you may want to try pva but how long before it comes off.

You probably need to apply a coat of concrete dustproofer / hardener to the concrete. We use this all the time on new concrete building floor slabs to prevent exactly the same problem. I can't think of any trade names at the moment, but any main builders merchant should have something suitable in stock if you tell them what you're after.

I wouldn't recommend PVA for this. PVA will form a film over the surface which I imagine will start to wear and discolour over time. A proper concrete dustproofer should last for the lifetime of the patio.

SparkyMarky

Thanks for the ans, how do you apply this? is it a liquid that is spread over the surface, and does it come ready or do you have to mix it.

Sponsored Links
The last type I used personally was a clear liquid which came ready mixed and was just painted onto the surface. My experience is mainly on internal concrete floor slabs and although they're generally subject to a fair amount of water and wear (lorry loading bays etc.) one of the builders on here may know a better solution for your problem...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back