Concrete Shed Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking at putting up a 10 x 6 wooden shed in my garden and have a question about the base I need to put under it.

I have some leftover 2' x 2' x 2" concrete slabs, but don't have enough to build a base big enough for the shed. What I was thinking of doing is:

1. Dig out 6 inches across the shed area.
2. Break up the concrete slabs I have and use them as a sort of large hardcore, spreading them out at the bottom of the 6 inch dug out area.
3. Hire a concrete mixer for the weekend and mix enough concrete to fill the 6 inch dug out area.

Questions:

1. Is this a good idea and will if be good enough to put my shed on ?
2. Will I be able to mix that much concrete myself using a mixer in a weekend or should I be investigating buying pre-mixed.
3. If the latter i.e. pre-mixed, can you buy it in such a low quantity (I'm assuming it's a low quantity by the standards of pre-mixed delivery).
4. If the former i.e mix it myself, how much aggregate and cement will I need ?

Any other advice ?

Cheers,
Chris

Sponsored Links
for a DIY job,just dig out like you said in stategic positions.,bed your slabs on consolidated sand/cement or concrete and place your shde on them.

a professional job is to dig out,place 100mm compacted type 1(my preferred materail).shutter up and pour concrete 100mm thick.allow to cure/sett,then place your shed on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back