Concrete slab - cracks along mesh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've had a concrete slab poured in my house 2 days ago by a company and levelled by some builders. I will be insulating further and screeding on top for a wet ufh. I don't think the job was done too great for as I have 3 issues

1) I had some A242 (6mm) mesh placed in the floor of my 100mm slab, and in 2 places it seems to have fallen off the spacers and is slightly sticking out the concrete slab. As pictured. I didn't see this as an issue however I have noticed slight cracks are starting to develop around the mesh as you can see in the pictures. I don't want the floor to fail, under the UFH screed, what would be the best course of action. I was thinking of angle grinding that section out and having bonded concrete poured in to fill the void. Thoughts?

2) in one room, some of the expansion strip managed to come out in 2 areas, the room perimited is about 20 metres, the expansion strip has come out for around 2 metres in total. Will it be fine or do I need to angle grind a new gap in

3) the concrete doesn't have a smooth finish, it's level throughout the floor however it's quite bumpy all over. I was told this isn't an issue as it's only a sub floor, the final finish will be a 75mm sand and cement screed. What are the thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Snapchat-723471495.jpg
    Snapchat-723471495.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 298
Sponsored Links
6mm mesh in a 100mm floor.
is this as per your buildings approval?

I'm curious to see the answers, as I'll be having a floor layed soon.

I'm not going with mesh, I too with be having 100mm PIR, UFH and screed on top.

I would guess if it's bumpy you'll either need to grind or choose to leave and compact the insulation to form around the bumps. Was much time spent troweling to floor flat? or at all?

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that reinforcement was not needed for most residential slabs.

I’ve recently read of brushing in cement (dry) into the crack. The residual damp in the slab will wet the cement.
Never tried it, but I will if it happens.

my know it all neighbour Says add a contraction strip, (Wooden batten) to induce the crack, remove said batten Then fill in the channel it created, thought is the crack will form along thinnest section.

As you are screeding, don’t think I’d be worried about the cracks You have shown. Are you laying your own screed or buying it in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back