Concrete slab floor - which underlay is best for warmth with carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently carpeted one room in my house and put down 10mm PU underlay and a low weave carpet. I've since found the floor can still feel quite cold in that room. Before I redo any other rooms, I wanted to find out which underlay is better or preferred.

Is PU not thermally efficient enough, or should I go thicker? Perhaps a better brand?

I looked at rubber waffle pattern underlay which might be warmer, but not sure how well it holds up for carpet support and crushing.

Any advice is most welcome, I want to ensure I get it right for the larger rooms and keep my heating bills down!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Ulster Carpets Axfelt65 Natural Felt Crumb combo underlay, it's superb for an insulating and supportive feel over Concrete Subfloors.

Axminster offer the same product, Brintons do a version called Brinflet. Avoid felt combo underlays with Man Made Felt, they are'nt as insulating and are a similar price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back