concrete slab under drainage area of retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am building a one meter high retaining wall where a brick garage used to be which also acted as a retaining wall. my plan is to keep the back wall of the garage to retain the soil while I build a new retaining block wall. The back wall of the garage is only one skin thick with just soil behind and is failing as a retaining wall.
The main question is if I build my new block wall in front of the failing brick wall with a space for a land drain and hardcore drainage between the old and new walls there will be a solid foundation beneath that drainage cavity. Is this ok. I understand you normally build the wall to the back edge of the foundation or slab so drainage goes behind. Obviously with my proposal the drainage will be on the slab. I would also put holes in the base of both walls for extra drainage. Does any one forsee any problems with my idea. Cheers :confused:

Sponsored Links
Does any one forsee any problems with my idea. Cheers :confused:

If you want water on the garage floor, no. Can't you put a perforated pipe in and lead it to the side?
You're building a gravity retaining wall so you need to use an adequate block thickness and suitable foundation.

Please scan a sketch of a plan view and a section view of whats existing and what you propose.

Yes, there will be a french drain/land drain put in. The garage has been already knocked down with only a meter high wall left at the back which is also retaining a bank of soil. so imagine the slab is now effectively a over wide foundation. Normally the drainage (pea gravel and french drain) would be behind the foundation/slab. In my case it would be on the founadtion. I will see if I can do a picture

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back