Retaining wall between two properties & drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for a little guidance - I'm building 1m high, 16m long (9") brick garden retaining wall 0.3m inside my boundary with my neighbour. The garden slopes down from left to right and the retaining wall is being put in to allow me to level it by raising the height on the right.

My neighbour has raised concerns about the drainage - specifically, the water that will come out of the weep holes 15cm above the soil level on the side of the wall that faces them.

The soil is claylike here, but there will be gravel on my side of the wall to facilitate drainage and a layer of membrane between the gravel and the earth to be retained.

Is this something to worry about from my neighbours side?

Would a French drain with a length or perforated pipe be better?

Is there any way to avoid using weep holes?

I'm endeavouring to do the nice neighbour thing, but I have no doubt if the concern is valid or not.

All feedback welcomed.

Jim

Sponsored Links
The slope just continued from my garden to their's so there was no appreciable issue. The concern is that with all of the earth retained behind the 1m high wall, there could be more water soaked up that would run out of the weep holes when the wall is finished.

Sponsored Links
If your that worried, cant you run a perferated pipe, set in P shingle along your side of the wall.
I would have increased the thickness of the wall as well, fair bit of weight behind the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back