retaining garden wall drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've just had out garden grassed area dropped by about 2ft at its highest point. Around the ourside we've had a retaining wall put in to keep the 1m wide soil border at bay.

The people doing it used a concrete foundation for the wall, and used a double skin of reclaimed wirecuts. From what i saw there is a small gap of half inch between each skin.
They've not included any drainage.. do we need some? the soil is about 2ft high at its highest point, mainly top soil with a clay when you get down near the bottom.
If we do need drainage, would weep holes be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Is the wall constantly wet?

Do you see water leaching through any of the mortar joints and dribbling down the wall?

Is there any staining or lime crust on the wall.

I have included many drain holes and weep holes/vents in walls but have never been privileged to see them omit water.

Ever.

no it's not wet.. it was only put in last week :)
The main worry is that it will become wet over time.. which we want to avoid obviously, but i dont want to go to the hassle of adding a membrane and gravel if were not going to need it on an 18" high wedge of soil.

Was the wall designed to resist water pressure at rest?

I joke.. If they were doing it properly they would have put weep holes in the wall and some pea shingle behind it to allow any water behind a route to go through.. Also a dpm would have been applied to the walls rear face (just so the wall stays pretty looking and no leaching)..

In the end of the day how wet does the area behind get in high rainy season? If no puddles form and the water drains into the soil below with ease then dont worry. Worst that happens is the wall gets wet alot and you get unslightly efflorecence and maybe some frost damage in the winters..

Oh what you could do is dig a 18" hole and see if it has any water sits in the bottom..

Sponsored Links
okay thanks. no it doesn't get puddles on the soil or anything on hard rain, plus the soil goes under the fence and into next doors garden, which is another 30 odd square meters.. so i guess plenty of room to drain away.

The gap left between each skin interested me, as technically i suppose this stops any water seeping through between skins? So essentially the front skin wont really see any water..

The gap left between each skin interested me, as technically i suppose this stops any water seeping through between skins? So essentially the front skin wont really see any water..

Potentially.. but if there is no route to drain the "gap" at the bottom the it will just be constantly damp.. might be an issue in the winter if it fills and freezes.. but who knows..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back