Concrete stuck in duct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - OpenReach came round yesterday to install my new fibre broadband line.

Annoyingly there is concrete stuck in the duct where the phone line comes into the house so they can’t proceed.

I really don’t want to have to dig the duct out. Does anyone have any genius ideas about how I shift the concrete?

I can’t break it up with a drill or chisel because any pressure pushes it further into the duct and I don’t know how deep the duct goes!

See pic. That black cable is the existing phone line that needs replacing. Down that hole is solid concrete.

Any ideas?!

Many thanks
7DA06ED6-72A9-47DD-BC51-790B83C534F1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Oops :eek:

You could blow off the loose dust and stick a flat bit of ply or something to it with CT1, then try and pull it out.

My guess is it wont release as its tight all round and if you do get to pull it up a bit, you risk damaging the existing cable.

Drill a small series of holes that don't need much pressure and rawlbolt /screw into them a chunk of something bigger than the duct diameter. The idea is to prevent the concrete being pushed further down
Possibly some building adhesive? If a long screwdriver will go down an edge you could lever it against the other side

Then drill a hole through, enlarge it as much as possible. Once a hole is through, drop a string through the hole, with a bar tied onto the end, in the centre. Once through, the bar will fall horizontal and you can pull it back out.

Or add a really big rawlbolt and pull

If it moves then must be a void behind it , use narrow blade chisel and a few heavy wacks should shatter it allowing removal , vacuum any small debri .

Sponsored Links
It can only go down as far as the bend at the bottom.

Would the wire pull it up?

It’s a good 8 inches down now. Pulling the wire doesn’t work. If I whack with it a chisel/hammer I’m afraid it will just go down further.

Any idea how far developers would bury these ducts - it’s a new build house. As far down as the foundations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back