Concrete Virgin - terminology and advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can do most things but have never laid more than patches of mortar and a few larger patches of self-levelling.

I'm now outside and looking to place an 8m x 1.5m slab alongside the house. Primarily to support a 300kg wood pellet boiler, but also to tidy up and provide a pathway from drive to patio.

Concrete Pad Pic.jpg
at
The above pic shows progress. The base is now dug out right to the patio and awaits some more MOT Type 1.

Hiring a cement mixer

I'm planning to slope the pad away from the house about 1% (1/8" per foot) so 1.5cm

I'm planning on fixing a couple of 4x2 battens to the wall to help with the levelling, removing whilst wet and then backfilling

The external fireplace is an add-on so I am NOT planning any expansion joints - only against the main brick wall

I happen to have some rebar that I was going to place within the top 1/3 of the ~4" slab for extra strength and crack resistance

Happy to take any criticisms/advice on the above - now to the questions...

I understand that I should put something between the slab and the brickwork as an epansion joint - what is it called and where can I get it. I have some leftover foam from when I had my inside concrete floors installed - can I use that outside?

This is going to sound really dim but there seems to be conflicting advice on t'internet about the concrete mix. From the internal floors I have two bulk bags of sharp sand left over so I think that I need 24 bags of cement and three bulk bags of 20mm (?) aggregate for a 1-2-3 mix? That should be enough for 2 cu m

Lastly would you recommend hiring a bull float? As you can see I'm working against the side of the house.

TIA for any advice

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back