concrete worktops...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be making my kitchen worktops soon , out of concrete. Can anyone confirm before I experiment, what the correct ratio should be for using white cement, fine sand and NO gravel ? Should I add a plastisizer? Also how much cement and sand should I require to make six meters @ 625mm x 40mm?

Any advice would be helpful,

Frederic

Sponsored Links
Is this a mortuary slab? :eek:

Without gravel there will be even less tensile strength. Have you considered some grano or washed white spar stone? How will this span the base units without breaking when you slam a cup down?

I could not hazard a guess as to the the mix, but some thing strong. But you don't want a plastisiser (no air voids)

I wonder if I could do this for an imminent kitchen refurb, as mrs woody wants expensive granite tops :cry:

It all sounds a bit whacky though .... go for it
buttrock.gif

Edit

After a bit of googling, it does not seem such a bad idea after all. There are some good looking designs around.

Amazon have some books and " Concrete Countertops: Design, Forms and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bathroom " at £18 seems a good one.

I think I'll investigate this further. Will I need an SE I wonder? :rolleyes:

crazy but cool,i think you definatey need to add some form of aggregate to the mix otherwise your gonna end up with gobbo which aint gonna peform very well.another thing is are you gonna use steel reinforcement. and are they going to be cast in situ or offsite.what about vibrating the concrete and as for the mix ratio i would contact your local concrete sectional garage manufacturer and see what they suggest. would love to see the finished worktops think its crazy enough to work

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back