Concreting over manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here so be gentle.

Behind our house we've got an old underground rain water tank. The access into the tank is via a manhole. The tank has been pumped empty, back filled with various rubble, and all filling sources diverted. I'm wanting to permenantly seal the tank up, and my plan is to cut a channel around the opening so that the current manhole cover (metal and approx 12" x 24") sits a couple of inches below the surface. I'll then concrete over this.

Does this sound feasible, or is these a simpler method im missing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the cover - if you concrete over it what happens in a few years time when the cover rots away leaving a thin slab of concrete over the remaining void?

Thanks for the reply new boy.

What's the best way for me to cover the hole while I fill it with concrete?

Remove the manhole and frame completely and weigh it in for scrap (they're quite heavy)
Fill in the manhole shaft with rubble- compact it as best you can- to about 200 below ground.
Stick a bit of DPM in (to prevent weed growth) then chuck your concrete in until you're at ground level.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, but the manhole access is to a tank which is approx 8ft deep, 6ft wide, and 10ft long. I'd need quite alot of hardcore for that.

You need to fill it completely. Leaving any sort of void there is asking for trouble at a later date. Dont take chances, do the job properly.

New here so be gentle........., back filled with various rubble,

So has it been filled or not? If not then get it filled in- crusher run or demolition scraps or any old solids will do, if you put a Want ad on your local freecycle you'll get some takers but it may be quicker and less hassle to get 15 tons of road planings delivered and just chuck that in.

If it has been filled then what's the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back