Condensate Pipe for Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I looking at redoing the central heating, to save money I will be doing as much of the donkey work as possible, as I am quite happy to remove floor boards and fit pipe work myself over a period of a few days.

One thing I would like to do is plumb everything up to the boiler manifold ready for the plumber to turn up and plop the boiler in place and do the complicated stuff.

My question:

Let me try and describe the situation. I live in a semi-detached house, if you imagine the roof is designed with no gable ends, so roof slopes up to the centre of the two properties where the chimney breast is.

However on the front of the house, is small gable end. Very similar to the below pic:

https://www.edulink.networcs.net/si...chlearn/designtech/Gallery/Stimulus/Buildings

Ours differs in that there is no bay window upstairs, so imagine the triangular roof parts flush with the rest of the house. Now there is a guttering down pipe from the roof to a drain that runs straight down the centre, of the two houses, with a "hopper" bit at the top.

I intend to fit the boiler in the loft space in that triangle on the front of the house. Is it ok to run the condensate pipe from the boiler internally to the corner and fix the pipe through where the roof meets the top of the wall to drain in to the guttering "hopper". The hopper catches rain water from the two gable roofs.

Thank you for any help,

Jason

Sponsored Links
Firstly if your front gable is similar in size to the picture I think you'll have a job fitting your boiler there. When u allow for the internal rafters etc it will be really tight. Secondly you can't terminate condensate into rainwater unless you can be sure it shares the drain with foul water. Defo get the opinion of your installer on site.
Regards

Not ideal. Danger of it freezing where it exits the building. Most MIs, I think you'll find, say it should go to a foul water drain (although I don't do installs so could be wrong). Also if its not plastic its a definite no-no.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helps guys.

The downpipe def goes to a drain, the waste from all the points around the house eventually meet here before going to the main drain.

Wont installing a condensate pipe all the way down the side of the house to drain point be just as much if not more at risk of freezing?

If needs be I was considering installing a condensure so it doesnt freeze.

The loft space is big enough, I have measured the area to check.

Cheers guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back