Condensate pipe freezing prevention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many thousands of people I have been suffering this freezing and locking out the boiler - 3rd time this spell as well as at the beginning of the year.

Its a shocking installation by BG as far as I am concerned - the condensate pipe comes out of the wall then immediately 90deg turn down, couple of inches down then 90 deg turn right and runs horizontally about 6 inches and into a hole drilled into the side of the gutter drainpipe and sealed with silicone.

When it gets to about -8C this freezes and its fairly easy to remedy with hot water but I wonder if there is a way of preventing it. I could probably get some foam around some of the pipe but as it sticks into the drainpipe I guess it could still freeze in there? (in fact when we have a lot of snow on the roof and it melts/refreezes the whole drainpipe can turn into a solid cylinder of ice!). How about running the condensate pipe externally down the side of the drainpipe or is that still going to freeze with it being about 2.5m high? There isnt really a way of routing it inside the house without a lot of messing.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem, would making the pipe a straight vertical drop alleviate the freezing when it gets cold?

OK for a start it shouldn't be run to rainwater, that's been incorrectly installed.

There are very many posts on this topic on here already. It should ideally be run in 40mm pipe if it's external, 32mm at a minimum, and should be run into your waste system, however an internal installation is always the preferred option. There shouldn't really be any tight bends either as there's more potential for water to pool and freeze, it should be done with two 45º bends or a swept 90º bend

Sponsored Links
Trace heating of this type may be a good solution but no idea about the effectiveness of this specific product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back