Freezing condensate pipe advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many, I had to deal with a frozen condensate pipe last year. My boiler and drain are both on an exposed north elevation so suffer extremes. Does it help much by lagging the condensate pipe? If not, I think my other option is to run the condensate pipe into the sink waste pipe, so it only has a downward run of 1m outside, I guess also lagging this. Can it still freeze in these circumstances?

Sponsored Links
The trick is to keep the condensate run to a minimum and if possible to keep it inside. Piping to kitchen waste is acceptable providing the regs are followed. See you MI's for guidance. Another thing to consider is heating the vulnerable pipe with proprietry devices, ie trace heaters.

If you can, run it internally to your kitchen sink waste.... Think about it, every time you use the sink, you will most likely use warm water and so de frost the pipe..... Only time this theory falls down is when the sink isn't used for a long time...

Sponsored Links
I'm changing my pipework from 22 to 32mm in the next few days. I was going to fit trace heating to the existing 22mm pipe but I couldn't find a suitable kit anywhere on the internet..... :rolleyes:

DO NOT GET A TRACEHEATER!

They are only useful for runs of 6mtrs or more.

You'd be best to insulate it using a waterproof insulation, such as ArmaFlex or fitting a product called Condensulate Xtreme.

Running it internally is fine, however, it's indirectly connected to your flue, so any problems could be dangerous.

I personally recommend removing the outside pipe, replacing it with 40mm and using Armaflex insulation.

OR paying BG £149 to replace the lot, with Condensulate Xtreme, and its all done for you.

40mm external pipe and a fairly steep incline I can say I haven't experienced
any problems with the installs I've done on that. Yorkshire area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back