Condensate pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question about installing a condensate pipe for a boiler. We're having a new boiler fitted in the loft, but at the moment I'm redoing the bathroom where the condensate will discharge to an internal stack. Rather than put the bathroom on hold till the boiler is installed or have them rip it all apart or do something silly like discharge it outside I'm putting the condensate pipe in now.

The question is, in the loft my instinct is to put the pipe under the insulation and boarded deck to keep the pipe warm and prevent freezing, keep the loft deck clear etc. Only issue is that this last section in the loft will then be horizontal (without a fall). Alternatively I could have it with a fall, but then it would be above the insulation and deck (in mid air), risk freezing and be in the way.

What to do?

Sponsored Links
put it under the insulation :idea: - check with your Gas Safe installer as to size - I personally ( as an old plumber ) would run it in 35mm ;)

internal best to avoid freezing, pipework will need a fall, then just lag the pipe if worried about freezing.

Paul

Sponsored Links
put it under the insulation :idea: - check with your Gas Safe installer as to size - I personally ( as an old plumber ) would run it in 35mm ;)

Thanks, have tried to ask the installer, but can't get through to anyone who actually does the work, just an office. The pipe I have is 22mm - 35 won't fit between the joists and insulation boards. Thermally it should be the same as being inside, as it's under the insulation.

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back