Condensate pump questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to connect up a condensate pump to avoid the frozen pipe issue I had last year and could do with some advice.

The boiler is mounted on the end wall of my loft and situated about as far from the soil pipe as it's possible to get! (9 metres away). The original fitters dropped the condensate pipe into the rainwater gutter so you can imagine what happened to it last year when the gutters themselves were frozen solid.

I bought a Grundfos Conlift and 15 m of PVC hose to take the condensate across the loft and into a 4" plastic soil pipe in the extension. My plan was to run the pvc hose inside some 21mm overflow pipe firstly to support the hose and secondly to make it easy to insulate (use 22mm pipe insulation around the outside). At the soil end I was going to fix a strap on boss with a 21mm adapter to the soil pipe and use the pvc:eek:verflow adapter that came with the pump to connect into the soil with overflow pipe. Unfortunately the soil pipe is so close to the roof truss on one side that I can't get the strap on boss around it.

I have two questions:

Can I cut the strap off the boss and fix it to the soil just with solvent or does anyone have a better suggestion for how to connect into the soil? The joint would be above the level of all the other waste pipes and about a foot below the air admittance valve.

Does the pvc pipe have to run downhill all the way or is a level section OK? To save obstructing the loft hatch I was thinking of running it up from the pump then along at ridge level before dropping it down to run along a joist for the last 3 metres.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
If it ran with a fall but was level in one small section this may be ok, but it should never run up in any circumstance.

Bear in mind if you just run hose into condensate pipe you may get smells emitting from the soil pipe through the gap between hose and condensate.

A strap on boss is fine, I was always led to believe it is good practise to fit a neutralizer to the condensate if you plan on running it into the drains.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies John and Mike

I exchanged the boss for the McAlpine version you recommended and it looks like it will do the job perfectly.

Grundfos supply an adaptor stub in the box to avoid the smell issues that you mention. One end solvent welds into overflow pipe and the other is a push on connection for PVC pipe secured with a jubilee clip.

I should be able to run it without the hose going uphill at any point (other than the first metere or so which Grundfos say has to go uphill then to a fall.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back