Condensation boiler and worrying noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, and thanks in advance to anyone who is prepared to give me an opinion.

I have an 8 year old (trouble free!) Keston 80 condensation boiler. I believe it is a closed system (I have no header tank but do have two cylinders (expansion vessels?? - one white one red) attached to the pipework. There is a pressure gauge attached to a pipe leading to the red one with a marker around the 1.5 mark. The boiler does my hot water and my underfloor water pipe central heating.

A couple of days ago, the boiler was running but then made a number of alarming coughing/pipe banging noises. When I got to it it has fired down and everything seemed ok. The pressure was normal around 1.3 (it normally rises to 1.5 during running).

Over the next day or so, I ran the boiler for the odd 10-15 minutes without being able to replicate but last night as I was trying again, there was what I can describe as a sucking noise from the boiler followed by two 'thwock-thwock' noises. At each 'thwock' the pressure gauge shot momentarily over 2 and then it fired down and the gauge went back to normal. There were a couple of after noises from the pipe work like it was coughing. I turned it off and on and it was happy to fire up again but I have since set it to off.

I will obviously get someone round, but does anyone have any pointers since I don't particularly want to be spending £80 an hour trying to replicate if I can give the guy a bit more direction. Many thanks again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your boiler actually boiler the water.
Could be a sticky zone valve.
Possibly your boiler coming on with the rads not activated because the roomstat is satisfied, and the underfloor section being slow to react.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back