condensation from flatroof extension

Hi.

You don't ventilate a wark roof because that would alow the heat from the house to escape, thus making it a cold roof!!! A warm roof is installed as follows. Firring pieces are fitted to the joist to creat the falls. Then you board the area in 12mm plywood as your base board. then you cover the base board with a (breathable vaper barrier) not to be confused with underlay! Then you lay kingspan insulation over the area (100mm is more adiquate over living space. Then fit your 18mm plywood decking on top, screwing straight through to the joist below. creating a sandwich affect!! If you have a gap above and below the insulation, the warm roof will be usless. Now when the heat from the house hits the underside of the insulation it is condensing. Because warm air is now hitting a cold surface!!
Venting the roof now may help, but you will loose all the heat from the room below! We have used this method for many years and never had condensation problems with any warm roof we have installed.
If i was you, i would demand my money back and get a proper roofer in who understands how to install roofs!!

Hope this helps??

Cheers RoofDry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back