Condensation in double glazing

well they reckon from £5.00 per unit. i can see it being used on units that are hard to de glaze or coloured and bevel units and even councils trying to cut their carbon footprint. Obviously you will have your call out charge on top so in most cases it will end up costing the same as a standard unit.

Sponsored Links
I just watched the videos.

The method is similar to the one I used, except that as it is being done after the unit has fogged, they have to wash and rinse the inside surfaces. Also they have a proprietary filter against dust and insects.

The reason they can guarantee it against fogging for 20 years, is that the vents to the outside allows any moisture vapour to escape.

It is absolutely essential for this method that the window is not sealed. It has to breathe.

It does not rely on dessicant, or seals, or chemical coatings.

no, it's an insulating, double-glazed unit that doesn't mist up.

Which is better than being one that does.

The air inside does not blow around, and the gap is too narrow for convection.

Sponsored Links
the presenting problem was internal fogging. That problem has been fixed.

the unit is not the same as it was before, the big difference is that it will not fog again.

You might say that's better than new.

A double glazed sealed unit is the only external component on the building envelope that is sealed! the walls are cavity and have and air flow through them, the roofs are vented and have an air flow through them, even wood floors are vented why? To prevent the build up of moisture and humidity that will cause damp and rot.

Venting the cavity of any twin wall structure to allow air to flow and prevent surplus moisture is basic science and has been used for generations, the impact on thermal performance is minimal if any.

why do they fill them with argon gas now? surely it has to be a sealed unit to stop transfering temperatures? it may not steam up but the house wont be as efficient

Argon has a higher density than air does therefore it's thermal transfer properties are lower making the unit more efficient, it just new developments that they find that are better than air, they also use krypton and other gases but argon is the cheapest I think

The fix they are doing in the video wouldn't lower the efficiency of the unit much if it was air to start with as it still has the air gap to reduce thermal transfer between the inner and outer glass but you can now see out of it. If it had been filled with argon originally then yup, efficiency would have been reduced I'd guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back