Condensation in loft

Took these today, you can just see the tops of the pieces of wood used.

P1010197.jpg

P1010196.jpg

P1010195.jpg

Is that easier to visualise, i dont suppose its as good as taking the pics from inside the loft. But it should help a bit.

Sponsored Links
I see, to space out the overlap of the two runs of felt

If it was me, i would have tried to cut the insulation back at the eaves by a few inches. A breadknife will do it and is very easy if you can get someone ro go up there.

the bits of wood strike me as a bodge. But if I was going to do it that way I would have tried to fashion a kind of "U" shape that would hang on the edge of the felt and not fall down. i am sure those battens will end up sliding down.

A more elegant soution would be to hire a core-drill and make a couple of 110mm holes in the gable at each end, with plastic grilles to cover the outside. The hole should be lined with a bit of duct or soil pipe. unfortunately getting up to fix the griles will need at least a long ladder, but it is a quick and easy job. When I had some ftted, my local roofer did it (after I'd done the holes and ducts from inside and mortared in the ends - I have small hands which fit through the duct.).

Yeah, i dont think its a normal method of doing things. As you say some method of stopping the pieces of wood sliding down the felt would have been an idea. The firm said if it didnt work they would fit some form of vents. I can only see how it goes, there,s definately more airflow up there. One thing ive gleaned from your post is you mentioning the felt overlap it made me realise the pieces of wood would only be short and not the 2 to 3 foot i was imaging.

Had problems with condensation in the loft myself during the recent cold snap, but only on the north facing side of the roof.

Instead of inserting wood in between the felt overlaps, I cut up some lengths of 1" plastic piping, and inserted them into the overlaps. The airflow through the loft has obviously increased enough, as about a week after I did this, the condensation has all gone, and it has not returned even with the current cold weather.

I also sealed up the gaps in the airing cupboard where the piping goes up into the loft through the ceiling, and put p-section rubber draft excluder round the loft hatch. I also glued a 2-inch thick panel of insulating foam to the loft trap door.

All well worth a try, and it's inexpensive!

Sponsored Links
I still have this problem ( a year gone by and its still not done, tut tut ) so thanks for the input puggy, that sounds a good idea with the piping. I think the things that are causing my problem are six halogen downlights in my sons bedroom, rubbish light output and rotting my roof timbers as well. Thats another reason i now have for hating them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back