Condensation In Loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been up in the loft today for the first time for a while and I was somewhat surprised to see water dripping at various points from the roof lining. Some of the rafters are quite wet where they touch the lining. I can only assume that this is condensation (I can't believe the roof is leaking at so many different points). Is this normal? Needless to say, it's been very very cold recently, so I'm wondering if this means that the air in the loft is too warm, which in turn might suggest that my loft insulation is not very good i.e. it's letting too much heat from the house into the loft.

Sponsored Links
No, it is the difference in internal/external temperatures which causes the condensation not that the loft is too warm or the insulation not efficient

When its -5 outside the internal temp only has to be 2 degrees for it to condense

You wont stop it

Thanks - that's comforting to know ... I think. Where's this moisture supposed to go? Is it normal for it to drip onto the insulation?

Ventilation is vitally important.I had exactly same problem as did my neighbour and a couple of 225 x 150 air bricks in gable ends.......sorted.Have vented soffits but extra insulation had restricted their effectiveness. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, I had wondered about ventilation. Unfortunately, I don't have gable ends, but I do have soffit vents. Mind you, I haven't crawled along far enough to make sure they're not blocked. I imagine it's quite difficult to get right to the edge.

Do you have any water tanks in the loft? If so check to see if one is filling with hot water.

Checked - no hot water going into the loft.

So what does one do? Wouldn't wet rafters rot, given enough time?

And what about drips onto the insulation?

To add insult to injury, we've stored some stuff in the loft, which is now getting wet. Could cover with sheets I suppose.

I have exactly the same problem, I was considering putting polythene sheets across the rafters to keep the items below dry. Would this create any aditional problems ? I was planning on then putting the end of the polythene into a tub to collect the condensation

Make sure it's ventilated and the loft hatch is well sealed and it should stay dry.

I had the same problem, fitted several 'mushroom' vents after removing roof tiles, no more condensation. Got them off fleabay. Wet timber will encourage fungal attack resulting in lose of structural strength over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back