condensation in middle of double glazed window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have just moved into a new house and the living room window (2.25m x 1.2m) seems to have condensation in the middle of the double glazing in between the 2 sheets of glass. the window is west facing so catches the sun most of the day which does not help it i suppose.

is there a reason for this and is it fixable do you think? some people have said the vacuum may have gone and just needs the air sucking out and re-sealing and others have said i'll need new glass in there but i have no idea.

any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

many thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, i recently asked about this one....see post called "misty windows"

there seems to be no quick fix im afraid, you have to get new glass units made up. this isnt as dear as having whole new windows though., ive just had mine quoted, for 6'x3' £100, fitted i think thats a great price.

cheers, diane

There is a chance that you could drill the inner pane of glass and let the condesation out and then plug with a rubber bung. bit cheaper and if you damage toe glass, you can replace anyway.

Sponsored Links
if you are making a vent hole, make it on the outside pane (as the air there is generally colder and dryer - this is why windows get condensation on the inside, not the outside).

This also applies if you are making your own double glazing e.g. with battens on a wooden frame for a second piece of glass. But in that case drill a tiny hole through the frame.

Drill through old glass and it will generaly shatter.

If it is safety glass (e.g. in a door or floor-length window) it will certainly break into tiny pieces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back