Condensation inside 'sealed' double glazed unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small double-glazed opening horizontal vent (about 1.2metre by 20cms) which appears to have condensation in the sealed unit. Not a lot. Is there any way of getting at it or resealing or must I get a new piece made?
Any ideas appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
I saw somewhere that a franchise for de-misting sudg panes was on offer ....don`t know if anyones operating it but it sounds like a good idea.......have a google ;)

Nige F said:
I saw somewhere that a franchise for de-misting sudg panes was on offer ....don`t know if anyones operating it but it sounds like a good idea.......have a google ;)

Dont know how they would do that, would mean putting new desicant in the spacer bar as well as re sealing to unit, as noseall says get a new unit made, job done.

Sponsored Links
The-brickie said:
Dont know how they would do that, would mean putting new desicant in the spacer bar as well as re sealing to unit, as noseall says get a new unit made, job done.
They are repairable as they put insert gas or dry air to find the leak, then reseal but not many around to do this now.

As per the above posters, the double glazing unit (DGU - i.e. the glass) has failed (i.e. the seal as leaked). I would not recommend a repair, as presumably it has fail from old age as they all do.

Just get the unit replaced. If the window frame is OK, then most glazers should be able to make you a new DGU unit and fit it. This is done from the inside and it quite a quick job.

I just had the three large DGUs replace (about 900 x 800 mm) in London and it cost nearly £600.

cheers

Malcolm

I have a couple that are very slightly misted too. Is this totally cosmetic. I don't suppose it is reducing noise/heat insulation? Also I have the plastic inserts inside the unit (not sure what they are called) - you know - like leading? Can a glazier usually do a good match or does it add loads to the price?

I know someone who has some custom-made french windows in an Edwardian house, with curved tops, in London E11. One has gone misty. The DG units are actually rectangular, but the wooden door has a curved top rail to hide the square top. I can't see any "cosmetic" removable parts so I suppose it would need a joiner as well as a glazier, to knock apart the tenoned joints.

Bit of a big job by the look of it :cry:

Coniferman, Georgian bar, yes easy to match.

JohnD, not a big job, I'm near Romford if you want to send me the details I'll have a look for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back