Condensation nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I converted an attached outhouse into a wet room/bathroom, and the bathroom part has horrendous condensation problems.

The outhouse wall is 2 bricks thick with no gap in between and has a flat roof (which was replaced last year).

I tiled the floor and walls up to 5 feet high and during the winter months the walls and ceiling are running with water and mould covers them. The wet room right next to it though is absolutely bone dry.

I think the tumble drier in there doesn't help much, but even when I've tried not using it the condensation persists.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening as i'm thinking about trashing the room and starting again from scratch with no tiles.

Sponsored Links
what sort of extractor fan have you got, and when does it run?

what hours is the room heated?

how is the ceiling insulated?

There is no extractor, heating or insulation, it was once an outside toilet/coal store.

The wet room does have a false ceiling to hide a water pipe & electrics though.

OK. So you have a cold, uninsulated, unventilated container, and you fill it with steam, so you are going to get a lot of condensation.

Which of these causes would you like to deal with first?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to ventilate, insulate, and heat the space!

With none of the above, its going to be ice cold - its effectively outside. You add hot air steam and air to that, and condensation is the only possible outcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back