Condensation on edge of ceilings by outer walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting condensation forming on the edges of my upstairs ceilings next to the outer walls.
I had my loft insulation topped up last summer (for free,cos I'm "poor") and asked the lads that fitted the new insulation whether it would cure my condensation problem,but they just looked at me like I was an idiot and shrugged.
Having looked on the internet it seems that the insulation's not meant to go all the way to the edge of the loft so that adequate ventilation is maintained and my loft doesn't get damp/mouldy.
I've seen plastic "eaves vents" online and wondered whether these would allow my loft to breathe without leving the edges of my ceilings uninsulated? :)

Sponsored Links
Should the guys that topped up the insulation have sorted this out,I was hoping that the extra insulation,applied by professionals,would have cured the problem?

go up into the loft and see where the insulation ends, compared to the ceiling, walls and eaves. Post a pic if you can.

However, condensation is usually a result of insufficient ventilation.

see //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

but if you are in the habit of draping wet washing about the house or over radiators, then you are doomed to have a damp home until you change your ways.

Sponsored Links
go up into the loft and see where the insulation ends, compared to the ceiling, walls and eaves. Post a pic if you can.

However, condensation is usually a result of insufficient ventilation.

see //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

but if you are in the habit of draping wet washing about the house or over radiators, then you are doomed to have a damp home until you change your ways.

Thanks for the link,I think I'm guilty on almost every charge of creating condensation - I'll reopen a couple of vents that are currently sealed up and see how it goes before I mess about in the loft. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back