Condensation in loft..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive recently noticed over the last few week that upstairs on the ceiling edges of the weather facing walls ( we live in a semi ) there are small black spots starting to appear. ( got to be damp )

We moved in last summer so obviously nothing was showing...So i went up into the attic and theres a lot of condensation up there....

Is the condensation running down on the felt into the insulation at edges of attic ?
Shoul dthe insulation run right to the edges ...it doesnt allow the roof to breath i think...

Whats my solutions to this anyone..?

Do i fit vent tiles as house has none ?
And can i get some sort of water absorpant balls / powder to put in attic or top of landing ?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
no the insulation must stop short of the eaves to allow ventilation
if there is no airflow [draughts] when you move it back you may need to insert soffit vents

dont forget every time you enter the loft you allow warm moist air up from the house making the problem worse as the extra moisture cant evaporate
so minimise the time the trap door is open

Had slates on the roof with no felt so I thought it would be a good idea to have the slates removed, green breathable felt put on and the slates then replaced. Since doing so, above my bathroom the attic is soaking on the felt. I know its supposed to be breathable but I dont think the attic is now vented enough. I have been up and cut the felt away with a stanley knife and immediately I could feel the air rushing in. The roof is water tight any how and I have insulation. I would rather a slightly windy attic than one which has soaking wet timber and mold. I would think hard about putting thi so called breathable felt on because it really stops the attice breathing

Sponsored Links
above my bathroom the attic is soaking on the felt.

how long do you use the extractor fan for, each time you have a bath or shower?

have you got holes in the ceiling, for example for pipes or downlighters?

is there a water tank in the loft that is either warm, or has no lid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back