condensation...i think? in the attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lat night i was in the attic (1st time since last xmas) getting down the xmas decorations. When I went back up to the attic to put away the box's, i noticed a lot of water droplets on the black felt on the inside of the roof...only on one side (north facing).

At first i thought i had a leak but when i turned on the torch, all the north side of the rood was covered in water droplets/condensation! The southside of the roof was dry....bit weird i thought!

Is there a problem with the roof, Im thinking maybe the heat from the house and the frosty weather outside caused it but it cant be good for the attic if theres condensation dripping on my boxes in the attic???

Any ideas lads?????

Sponsored Links
could it just be that you let a lot of damp air up there while you were getting the decorations down ?

For example had someone just had a shower or cooking going on while you were up there ?

maybe, I was up there for only 5mins! I went back up about an hour later and the whole north side was covered in condensation! Nobody had a shower and there was no cooking at the time?

Perhaps there is inadequate ventilation then, has the insulation been pushed in under the eaves stopping the air coming up ?

Sponsored Links
didnt have time to check last night. Whats the best method of insuring proper ventalation?

update on the condensation...

Went up to the attic/loft today and the condensation was very bad,North side covered in droplets and the south side had some condensation also!

I had a good look at the air vents on the gables and it looks like the front has a lot better ventelation then the back (north) of the house...

I cleared the insulation from the vent sides but dont think it would make much difference...

I think i might need to put in more ventalation in the attic/loft?? Who do i contact to offer advice on what to do (Cork area)...

My house is two years old, would i be able to get the original biulders to do it???

Cheers for any advice...

nice1... there seems to be a lot of people with similar problems..

Im thinking about investing in a dehumidifier for the ensiute shower! I feel that the extractor fan isnt doing much...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back