Condensation on inside of garage roof (I think!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just noticed some water on top of a shelf in our blockwork shed, on some Corex I'm storing and on a BBQ I store in there in winter. I think it's caused by condensation due to the cold weather but it's a long story ....

We've had a number of issues with the shed, the floor was raised about a brick's height (50cm) at the end of November - I suspect that's going to generate a lot of moisture in the shed for a few months? Then the EDPM membrane had come out of the clip at the back, the builder replaced it with screw in finish which looks intact to me.

There are air bricks at the top of the shed at the back, and the builder fitted 2 air bricks at the front and back close to ground level (3rd brick up) as we had some issues with mould on stuff we stored in there last year.

During the cold spell I have noticed condensation on door handles.

When I checked why there was drops of water on Corex etc the underside of the roof (OSB boards) felt frozen, there were some drips of water on the top box I store in there and on the electrical conduit. Some of the joists are slightly damp.

Because the OSB feels slightly damp all over I suspect this is condensation, as I would expect a leak to be worse in the place where it leaks, and it's unlikely an EDPM roof would leak all over?

I'm hoping (perhaps naively) that the issue will go away once the concrete has dried out. Another simple solution could be to use anti condensation paint but would that stick to OSB? Other than that I'm not sure, read about insulation but could be a massive job and I don't want to make the problem worse, or more ventilation?

It's depressing as it's been one problem after another and I'm sick and tired of arguing with the builder about it (though I will if it's their responsibility) :(

Any suggestions / advice?

Many thanks
Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4619.jpg
    IMG_4619.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Sorry one more thing I forgot to mention ... I don't recall this exact issue last year but then I don't think we had such a long cold spell?

And another couple of things that may matter:

- Roof covering is EDPM over the OSB boards
- Building is only 18 months old!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back