Condensation on inside of windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
By "badly affected by condensation" I meant that there's a lot of water on the inside pane of the windows. Not within the unit, but on the surface facing into the room, so the unit hasn't broken down. I haven't noted any damage to the surrounding area....yet.

As stated elsewhere, we've only been here three months so I've no idea whether the previous owners experienced the same issue. Maybe they did but didn't notice it; we simply don't know. Having had extensive problems with condensation in our last, solid-walled Victorian house, I was looking forward to being without it in a more modern property and thus was disappointed to find the windows streaming with water on the first cold evening we've had this autumn. We do intend to get these fairly old windows replaced and to that end, I've asked a fitter who has worked for us before to give us a quote. At least if we do continue to experience condensation, even with new windows and some changes of lifestyle in accordance with the advice given above, we'll know that its divine intervention, punishment for sin in a previous life, rather than something we're doing wrong in this one.

I'll make enquiries about CWI; I'm 60 next year so maybe if its still available for free in certain circumstances we'll touch lucky. If not, then we'll have to put notices around the place reminding us that breathing is a luxury, not a right.

The loft is a slightly different issue. Its been boarded out, and the insulation below that boarding is pretty thin, to be honest. Presumably to compensate for this, they've insulated the inside of the roof slope itself, something which was commented on by our surveyor as being inadequate when he did a full structural survey back in March. So maybe something else for the future, though for now we need that space to accommodate the legion of boxes generated by downsizing overspill and cannot even consider removing the boarding and building up the joists, just yet.

Sponsored Links
Just to add, I've checked all the gutters and downpipes during heavy rain and they're working fine. Good shout though, and I'll continue to do so lest I be missing something.

I cannot see the windows nor what state they are in, but unless the seals had gone and/or they are damaged, or they did not close properly and you can see gaps, you may be replacing them for nothing. I would not replace a whole unit just to get trickle vents either. You can actually add these to existing units.

Personally, I would implement the lifestyle changes first (and install extractors) and save the money you would spend on the windows on something else. Apart from looking newer, your new windows will not help prevent condensation. They are nothing to do with the problem. If the surface of the new windows are a bit warmer, this may mean all that condensation will just appear elsewhere, on another cold spot. If not, then your new windows will be just as prone to condensation.

It is up to you obviously, I just read very often people going to great expense to try to fix a problem, when it is the free solutions that should be tried first.

Fair comment.

My original impulse was to replace all the windows which had exterior beading, until a local fitter visited to quote for new windows and helpfully informed me that the existing panes were held in with clips, which meant that even if the beads were removed the glass would have to be broken to get the units out. Which still wouldn't stop an intruder trying, I guess, particularly with the side window which is not overlooked. One of the front windows is pretty big, probably 3 metres in width, so it'll be fairly expensive to replace.

There are only two of us in this place and I can't believe that we're producing so much more condensation than three of us did in our last house, so I reckon I'm missing something, somewhere. I got up this morning to find both front windows streaming with condensation, and we sleep at the back. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Sponsored Links
So what's close to the front? toilet, laundry room, tumble dryer etc. Make a list if you can...pinenot :)

look for signs of a leaking pipe or radiator. It might be a pipe in or under the floor. It is easier if you have a water meter because the bubble will never stop moving.

As well as inspecting the gutters and downpipes for spillage or blockage.

Pinenot: all the above are near the back of the property, which is fairly small, so I suppose condensation could quickly transfer from the rear to the front windows. There might be a glimmer of hope, however: this morning one of the front windows isn't quite so badly affected, possibly because we did leave a window open in our bedroom last night. I've also ordered a humidistat extractor for the bathroom, so let battle commence.

John, the place has solid concrete floors and all the CH pipework is above the surface. Drains are sound--I've checked--downpipes discharge efficiently into gullies around the side and there don't appear to be any gutter leaks, which leaves only the mains water pipe. I'll have a look at the water meter and see what's occuring.

Please let us all know how it goes, this has got to be the most frequently posted topic by a long shot. Not realy so difficult to cure, but a frustrating problem by all accounts...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back