Condensation on the frame of new aluminium windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is I'm taking my Volvo back to the dealer right now because the windows steam up if I've been sat in it for a while, gonna tell them they must of fitted the glass wrong but being Swedish and from a cold country you'd think they'd know what they were doing wouldn't you?

Sponsored Links
All I know is I'm taking my Volvo back to the dealer right now because the windows steam up if I've been sat in it for a while, gonna tell them they must of fitted the glass wrong but being Swedish and from a cold country you'd think they'd know what they were doing wouldn't you?

Love It! :LOL:

Can just see it at the dealers...Yes sir , turn the heaters on the windows , and open the window a little to let the hot air out...No I can't do that , its not me causing the problem..........

I wonder how many cars Volvo export to the UK with this major manufacturing flaw, can't be many surely........ if any?

we had new aluminium window put in, which have a thermal break, but as the weather had turned colder we get condensation on all the window frames apart from the one in the front room

'hmmmm, put in new windows and now get more condensation.

I wonder if the old windows, that were so bad they had to be replaced, might have been a bit draughty.

Sponsored Links
Never had this many responses but guess its a topical post with the weather turning cold recently.

Thanks for the advice and random tangents

I am looking into installing double glazing and the practicality installing some air bricks, to remedy the problem as there is no visible venting

remember to include trickle vents on the window order.

OP has new Ali windows with thermal break and has condensation all windows bar one ...... FACT

On the window FRAMES dumbuss, read things properly, where clearly thermal breaks are not fitted as they should be even more insulated than the glass, why is condensation not happening on the glass, oh whoops, because the frame is colder = poor frame design.

The suggestions to alleviate the levels of water vapour have been through ventilation

You don't know the surface temperature of the window frames, with poor insulation or thermal breaks those metal frames could be extremely cold, therefore you don't know the required humidity to avoid condensation or if it is practical.

Ever seen condensation on metal cars in the morning 'HOW CAN THAT BE!' they are exposed to ventilation, ventilation stops condensation!

Head Ezplodes!

(No I didn't read more than the first few lines of your epic long post, learn to write briefly and concisely).

Firstly, Congratulations for yet again having to call me a name.

Hi

In the summer we had new aluminium window put in, which have a thermal break, but as the weather had turned colder we get condensation on all the window frames apart from the one in the front room.

Do we need to contact the suppliers? Or do something to prevent the condensation?

Please help, thanks

At no point does OP say whether the thermal break is on the glass or frame, All I did was quote the OP. You do not know for sure that the glass is not condensating, I hear all the time that ' my frame has condensation on it ' , when we look it is the actual glass, so more information is required, and has been requested from the OP but never given, therefore none of us can give an accurate answer...even you .
You don't know the surface temperature of the window frames, with poor insulation or thermal breaks those metal frames could be extremely cold, therefore you don't know the required humidity to avoid condensation or if it is practical.

Ever seen condensation on metal cars in the morning 'HOW CAN THAT BE!' they are exposed to ventilation, ventilation stops condensation!

You also do not know the level of water vapour in the air, so once again we are at a stalemate , as neither of us can provide an answer without more information.
Yes I've seen condensation on Cars....Irrelevant , as I am saying that ventilation helps alleviate water vapour , i am not saying it cures condensation.

As for not reading my long post. I really suggest you get a cup of tea/coffee or whatever you drink and read it. It is full of useful information, and once again it asks some questions that I would appreciate you humour me with an answer. I would have posted concisely, but it was a lot of info , including average water vapour levels, it really is worth a read, I learnt something from it, like to be fair, I have learnt something from this thread.

Thought I'd post a 2nd post as my posts were apparantly to long.........

Couple of Questions Aron:

If ventilation is not helping , why are you suggesting it on two other posts on this very forum?

I had condensation on the windows, first thing in the morning, in my bedroom, bathroom, and childrens bedrooms ...all three are about 15-20 years old . I opened the little fanlight on each window whilst getting my children and myself ready for school/work respectively, and lo and behold I went back to each room an hour later and the condensation had gone......please explain why?

Please note I could have changed something in the comment above , but it wasn't until reading back I saw it. I said windows, but meant glass, see how easy it is to talk about glass, as windows. Not saying this is what the OP did, but until we have more information from the original poster, then we cannot answer his/her question, to many variables and unknown things

I've actually changed my mind....this isn't irrelevant at all , as its a very good example....

The condensation on the car overnight , is indeed because the car ' metal ' is colder than the air. This is due to the air temp dropping, thus making the metal colder. Now, the air temp has dropped, and through the thing I have learnt in this topic, the air can no longer hold as much moisture, as it is colder, therefore the moisture settles on the cold car. The reason why , when it is outside, it still condensates , is that the colder air has a higher percentage humidity level , and thus the water vapour has no where to go , as the air is saturated. Until some ' non - saturated ' air comes along to take up that moisture then condensation will happen ( eg the wind picks up! )

Now apply this logic to a window, opening the window is allowing moist air out and ' dry ' air in , moving the levels of water vapour around, thus reducing the percentage humidity to a level where the water vapour no longer condensates..........

Firstly, Congratulations for yet again having to call me a name.

Do I get a rosette?

At no point does OP say whether the thermal break is on the glass or frame, All I did was quote the OP.

He says there is condensation on the frame, not on the glass = internal frame surface colder than glazing = bad frame.

Not my fault you can't make simple deductions

You do not know for sure that the glass is not condensating

I'll go by what he says, not what facts you wish to *assume*. Plenty of cases where poorly designed aluminium windows cause cold surfaces, as further evidenced in this thread.

As for not reading my long post.

You should make the effort to write short concise posts, end of.

Love It! :LOL:

Can just see it at the dealers...Yes sir , turn the heaters on the windows , and open the window a little to let the hot air out...No I can't do that , its not me causing the problem..........

Double glazed windows in an insulated and heated building.

VS

Single glazed windows on a comparatively uninsulated frame in an unheated car.

Are you really this dumb?

Condensation 10 - "If you fit double glazing it will cure condensation"

Nothing could be further from the truth. Often before double glazing is fitted the single glazed windows 'steamed up' or ran with water on cold mornings. After fitting new double glazed windows hey presto the condensation no longer forms on the windows - in other words it is no longer visible but has it gone away?

Well from the windows yes - but previously the single glazed windows ran with water and in so doing they acted as a dehumidifier removing water vapour from the atmosphere within the property. It is also very probable that the old single glazed windows did not fit as well and they provided a certain amount of 'involuntary ventilation'. By fitting draft free sealed unit double glazed windows the dehumidification effect of the single glazed windows is removed and the 'involuntary ventilation' prevented.

If the life style of the occupants remains unchanged then a proportion of the water vapour that previously formed on the windows or escaped in draughts will very likely form elsewhere. It is not unusual for mould growth to form in corners on walls as a result of condensation after double glazing has been installed.

So does double glazing cure condensation? No it does not - it just shifts it elsewhere.

and a bit more info.....

Condensation 11 - "They say ventilation will cure condensation"

Water vapour exerts a pressure and areas of high vapour pressure (such as inside our homes) will always seek to equilibrate vapour pressure by moving to areas of lower vapour pressure (outside) and ventilation provides an 'easy' escape for this to happen. However not only does water vapour escape but also heat. The warm moist air is replaced by dryer cooler air which is good but some have suggested this reduces wall surface temperatures leaving them more susceptible to condensation. The cool replacement air also has to be heated to maintain comfort levels within the property and this costs money.
There is no doubt that controlled ventilation will contribute towards the reduction of a condensation problem and create a healthier environment but it probably will not be the complete cure. Other control measures are likely to be necessary and a complete cure lies with the life style activities of the occupants.

Please before calling me dumb, read the entire ' long post ' !

Also explain why you keep saying ventilation does not help , yet you have posted in at least two other posts , that exact same thing.....

I think you will find Crank39 and myself where commenting more on the very broad comments of scandinavian windows being ' superior ' and having just a tongue in cheek laugh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back