condensation or possible roof leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all sorry for the long post but i will just give you a bit of background of my issue. We bought our current house 2 years ago noticed the roof suffered with very bad condensation over last winter. The previous owner had fully boarded the loft and also built a scenery around most of the loft out of paper mache for his train set. A couple of weeks ago I ripped it all out to discover that we had no loft insulation at all up there and no ventilation. I also noticed one of the beams on the gable end had a dark water mark on it. Fast forward to this week and i've started to rectify the loft insulation issue and am currently half way thru. I've added loft insulation to half of the loft and I've also opened up the laps temporary with some small bits of wood until my lap vents arrive. Been up there tonight and noticed that the condensation on the sarking has almost all gone but have noticed the beam with the stain on is now wet. could this still be a condensation issue or is it more likely that i also have a roof leak?
many thanks
Dave

Attachments

• IMG-20201223-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20201223-WA0000.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-20201223-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201223-WA0001.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Too localised to be condensation I think.....time to have a look see at the roof tiles / flashings or whatever is out there.
John :)

as above said, you have a leaking roof, it's not condensation

PS, you also don't have any sarking, you look to have rafters then roofing membrane, tile batons....

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that I thought as much. I did look at the tiles from floor level yesterday and didn't notice anything obvious but I did notice a couple of cracks in the verge mortar so will get it looked at
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back