CONDENSATION??

L

leeppp222

Hi

I wonder if someone can help?

I currently live in a flat and for the past couple of years have been having problems with condensation in the bedroom. This started off being just over the window but for a while now it has been behind our wardrobes and making balck stains (which we keep cleaning).

The room has minimal ventilarion at the best of times so is this the main reason? I am considering buying a de-humidifier to dry the wall out a bit and keep it on during the day to solve the problem - is this right?

Cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
think you will find its ventilation, or lack of

I did think that but to be honest - there is literally nothing I can do about that unfortunately - will a dehumidifier work or do i need something else?

as i understand it (may be wrong) a de humidifier draws water out of the air, not out of a wall (given enough time it may) can you not do as we do leave a small window very slightly open in each room?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
as i understand it (may be wrong) a de humidifier draws water out of the air, not out of a wall (given enough time it may) can you not do as we do leave a small window very slightly open in each room?

No - which is annoying. There are two windows in the room (old!) but neither open - the nearest room is a bathroom - is it worth me leaving that open a bit?

breezer said:
i would, and leave the door ajar to allow air flow

Ok, thanks for your help!

I just hope it isn't causing any serious damage - I am only renting the property but I am proably going to be here for a year or two and the landlord isn't exactly the helpful type.

leeppp222 said:
for a while now it has been behind our wardrobes and making balck stains (which we keep cleaning).
This is known as "condensation trap" because lack of air flow behind the wardrobes.
will a dehumidifier work or do i need something else?
It will but produce hot air out of the dehumidifier which again is moisture into the room !

You need to have a word with the landlord about the windows opening problem because of fire escape.

As breezer said "lack of ventilation" is the problem.

Get a dehumidifier.

I lived in a flat (1000 years ago now) and every room had massive condensation. It used to run off the windows and make puddles on he carpets.
All the walls were stained with blackness.

Dehumidifiers were practically unknown in those days and it cost a fortune (about £500 in 1983!!!!!)

But it worked and was well worth the expense.

Make sure you buy one that is big enough and robust enough to deal with the volume you wish to dehumidify.

Then switch it on to maximum and run it for at least 24 hours in all affected rooms (annoying when you are trying to sleep).

Once you have done this, leave it on a lower setting for all the time that the condensation usually appears. For me it was during the winter.

It cured the problem for me. Now I just use it when I am drying washing indoors during the winter.

You'll get added benefit of loads of distilled water too, should you choose to keep it all.

kind regards

Do NOT rely on a dehumidifier. You need ventilation. First it is much cheaper, second it replaces stale air. Domestic dehumidifiers have aluminium heat exchangers/condensers and lots of bits of dust and fluff get stuck in them, get damp and are just right for bacteria breeding grounds. The even more serious problem is fungus spores. The right circumstances make these a serious health hazard. Have some ventilation and cure the problem at source (so to speak).

could not agree more with the last post and the fire escape one.
Get the landlord to make the window open. he has responsabilities to you as a landlord inc your safety. (fire alarms, gas certificates etc, toilets that work and windows that open..specially under these circs desc.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back