condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in aprill last year we retiled a 1960s semi concrete tiles breathable felt(monarperm) refitted the 1 tile vent which was already in no problems all year no leaks or anything last week got call of leak went up in loft and underside of felt actually had icicles on it it was so wet all over we sugest another three tile vents two front and one more on back do you other roofers think this will help dont want to do it and it not fix the prob whats your thoughts (this is first serious condensation issue we have had)

Sponsored Links
in aprill last year we retiled a 1960s semi concrete tiles breathable felt(monarperm) refitted the 1 tile vent which was already in no problems all year no leaks or anything last week got call of leak went up in loft and underside of felt actually had icicles on it it was so wet all over we sugest another three tile vents two front and one more on back do you other roofers think this will help dont want to do it and it not fix the prob whats your thoughts (this is first serious condensation issue we have had)
Its defo conden which is why its worse when its freezing outside = hot air mixing with cold air and condensing.I recently done a job in brigham,sarkin roof ,inside covered in frozen droplets ice/water.I fitted 4 vents and was speaking to the guy about 2 weeks ago and he said the problem stopped as soon as we fitted the vents.Did this solve your problem?

yep the vents front and back were enough to cure the problem but i think the really bad winter we have had was a one off anyways so dont think there will be many more problems with condensation fingers crossed anyway (brigham eh so ya based in west cumbria mate)

My faith in 'breathable membranes' is limited.

They will work but they rely upon other parts of the building to be in cahoots, i.e vapour barriers, trickle vents etc.

The recent winter has exposed a lot of people to the problems of condensation and has made breathable membrane manufacturers aware of the limits to their products.

It is fair to say that simply by using a breathable membrane is no guarantee against the problems of condensation when temperatures are excessively low.

Sponsored Links
Threads nearly 6 months old - bet he's not still waiting.

i agree with you on this one noseall some apparently breathable membranes are not half as good as advertised i often recommend a tile or slate vent each side these days to try and get a thru draft and cumbrianroofer30yrsexp im also from the west MARRA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back