condensation in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im having trouble with condensation in my loft space, ive had a roofer over to have a look at the problem and he has sugested that it could be caused from having cavity wall insulation+loft insulation? to be fair this problem has occured since having the insulation done. The roofer has sugested putting in vent tiles ( 2 at front & 2 at back) He also noticed that there is also a problem with my underfelt, not sufficent lap ( approx 1-2") this has caused the felt to turn out and the condensation to build up and drip in many places. I know the roofer is genuine in what he says as i can see it myself. I would like any advice as to if the vents would help with the condensation and what could be done about the lap on the felt? Many thanks. Den

Sponsored Links
It certainly can help by increasing the ventilation in your roof, but it could be that they have covered any vents that you had in your soffit when fitting the loft insulation, if they ran the insulation right in the lower part of your roof that could be it, just pull it back abit and see if that helps.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks Leadman :D.The roofer who came to look, checked the insulation at the eaves and said it was clear of the eaves. I think ill get the vents fitted as recomended ( is a quote of £180 a good price? ) and can anyone suggest a solution to the problem with the lap on the felt?

Sponsored Links
I don't have any soffit/fascia vents on my house at all :eek: It's ~1930's construction, has cavity walls filled with polystyrene balls, and 300mm of rockwool in one half of the loft, with 150mm elsewhere (due to it being partially boarded it out)

This is how the house was when I moved in, when it had decrepit soffits/facias. A local door/window company replaced the soffits and facias two years ago, and no vents were installed then either. I didn' think twice at the time.

Should I worry? I don't see any condensation up there, but then I'm only up there once a month or so.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back