Loft Insulation and Eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Had a bit of disagreement with a roofer today. Basically he had been asked to pull the loft insulation away from the eaves as they were blocking the eaves vents and causing a condensation issue in the loft space. The loft insulation was topped up to around 300mm about 12 months ago and since then the owner has always struggled with condensation within the loft.

There are no flues or possible lose ducting pipes which could add to the moisture within the loft space.

His argument was that loft insulation should be tucked right into the eaves to prevent a cold spot on the ceiling below and causing thermal bridging and a mould issue. He has a point but adequate ventilation and heating etc should prevent this.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this.

Sponsored Links
I cut mine with a bevelled edge, so that it fully covers the ceiling, and reaches onto the inner leaf of brickwork, but does not touch the roofing felt. You can see daylight all round and the gap is a few inches. It can be done more accurately by cutting than by pulling back.

If the plasterboard was exposed, your roofer would be right.

I would also verify that the bathroom extractor fan is working effectively, and there are no holes in the ceiling, for example from downlighters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back