condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I live in a 1953 semi with a small bay window,the problem is the upstairs is single brick rendered on the outside,and at this time of year the wall starts to get wet on the inside causing mold to apear.
i do get condensation on the windows up stairs and down stairs but only on the wall upstairs.
i was thinking of inusating the wall with rockwool or polystyrene then covering with ply or plaster board.
will this solve the problem or just hide it?
thought i would mention the wall has a radiator on awell.
thanks ste..

Sponsored Links
Yes insulating will help reduce or even prevent the condensation problem

Also a trickle vent if not already fitted

We had this problem too and insulated the inside face with insulated plasterboard. Don't forget the vapour barrier though otherwise it would just hide it.

We spent years tackling condensation problems in a 1930's block. We had the problem in 2 seperate flats we lived in there, which involved a lot of research.

The cause of the condensation is moisture in the air (a result of bathing, cooking etc) is touching the cold wall and condensing. Insulating your wall will help and this was part of our solution. We used a 2mm polysterene covered in lining paper, which did solve the problem, but was not very strong to knocks. Your insulated plaster board will definately help.

The cause of the underlyign problem will still be there though and may find another cold wall to condense on. I suggest you either fit an extractor fan in your bathroom, which will help circulate air and remove the moisture. A trickle vent may help aswell, but I'm now a big 'fan' of extractor fans. Use them where you can.

Sponsored Links
you don't drape wet washing about the house or over radiators, do you?

the wife does hang washing over the radiators some times but not all the time.
i know this will make the situation worse so she only does it when the windows are open.

I don't know much about trickle vents,can you fit them to any window or wall?
as for extractor fans i fitted one in the bathroom a few years ago,so when you switch the bathroom light on it comes on and it works great in the bathroom but not really any good for the bedroom and living room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back