Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anybody please advise?
I have a customer who lives on the ground floor of a 2 storey house. The 2 bedrooms, both with external cavity walls are suffering from mould patches particularly behind the wardrobes. The DPC looked fine although not quite 6" above ground level. I have dug soil away from wall and filled with gravel but the problem still persists. As usual, the property has double glazing and central heating. The floors are solid so no air bricks. Is it feasible to fit a plastic airbrick/cavity liner and hit & miss vent to affected rooms? What position? Any better ideas???

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Your post title probably sums it up, if the cavities aren't insulated, the mould patches are probably due to condensation damp, even with cavity insulation, damp can form behind wardrobes and the like. I would suggest

Don't put wardrobes against outside walls if you can avoid it
Ensure kitchens and bathrooms are adequately ventilated (the damp air will get around the whole house)
Insulate the cavity
Dry line the inside of the wall with insulated plasterboard or 25mm celotex and std plasterboard
Dehumidifier

Regards
OVM

Start with ensuring ventilation is adequate before anything else. So fit trickle vents in the heads of the windows if not already get the occupier to leave the windows open more.

Are damp/condensation spots only behind furniture on external walls?
There a few things that can be done to prevent it, without major or minor work needed, if it is condensation rather that damp.
Large items of furniture should not be placed directly against any external walls. As trapped air can lead to serious surface condensation and mould.
So leave a space between the back of the furniture and the wall. Also mounting furniture on blocks will allow air to circulate from underneath.
Also another problem can be caused by drying clothes on the bedroom radiators, if this has to be done, ideally a window should be slightly opened in the room.

Sponsored Links
Your post title probably sums it up, if the cavities aren't insulated, the mould patches are probably due to condensation damp, even with cavity insulation, damp can form behind wardrobes and the like. I would suggest

Don't put wardrobes against outside walls if you can avoid it
Ensure kitchens and bathrooms are adequately ventilated (the damp air will get around the whole house)
Insulate the cavity
Dry line the inside of the wall with insulated plasterboard or 25mm celotex and std plasterboard
Dehumidifier

Regards
OVM

+

(Though the Dehumidifier may not be necessary once all the other steps are taken).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back