Condensed description of the ID card scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ID cards seem to be an issue as polarised as front fog-lights, however I am pretty sure that 99% of the population haven't read the official document, the ID scheme bill. It is hard to really make up your mind either way without seeing exactly what they are proposing (I am sure newspapers have published choice bits, but newspapers are seldom objective). I was reading the article I have linked to at the bottom of this post, and got to wondering what exactly is in the bill. I haven't read it yet, but will if I get a chance this evening.

Here is the bill as it stands right now. Look to "Schedule 1" for the information that may (not shall) be recorded in the database.

Here is a condensed version of the possible contents of the database.

Sponsored Links
Poor old DB railing about cards - I suppose he just couldn't see where he went wrong waving the Nectar card ;)

What happens if card is lost ? Will we have to have all identity numbers changed ? So if they change our National Insurance number .. pound to a pinch of dogs best .. they'll mess up somewhere down the line .. We have seen how Govns founder on the rocks of computer systems ... are they about to write off the rubbish they employed Every one a Damp Squib to produce relating to the CSA ? £455Mil oh well thats just a little less than the partial revenue they get back from uninsured drivers in one year.

But as one MP on the work and pensions select committee, Andrew Dismore, put it: "There's only one thing you can rely on the Child Support Agency to do and that is let you down."

Whatever information is held, it will at some stage be used in a manner which non criminals may not like .. tis the nature of management to chase browny points with new ideas and methodologies within or without the law !!
P

Funny how we got by when the IRA and co were blowing up things right left and centre with no identity cards. 3 bombs down our way, or was it 2 and a train crash? Oh, and a local chap who decided to join the fun. But now all the explosions have stopped they say we must have identity cards, just in case they start.

Hmm.

What no one has explained to me satisfactorily is how the introduction of ID cards will make my life better/safer?

I've lived quite happily for the last 50 years without the need to provide information to all and sundry apart from when I present my passport on leaving and entering the country - fair enough. Driving licence/insurance when requested by the police - fair enough.

Why am I now being asked to pay for a new card which says who I am and where I live etc, etc? How have I managed to date? Will it prevent me from suddenly joining Bin Liner's organisation and going on a suicide mission? I think not. Will it prevent other peole from doing the same? No.

The whole thing's a no brainer.

The world's going mad. Foreign students can't open up bank accounts because they can't prove residence, but they can't get a flat until they can can set up a bank account to pay the rent.

The reason being that every person entering the country is now assumed to be a money laundering, drug smuggling, terrorist. Paranoia or what?

And then just to add the icing to the cake http://news.ft.com/cms/s/8c57d296-398f-11d9-b822-00000e2511c8.html

Of course the introduction of ID cards will sort all our security problems at a stroke.

Sponsored Links
There have been countless programmes on the television of late showing how easy it is to fraudulantly obtain official documentation which in turn is used to obtain credit.

Surely instead of introducing yet another flawed system just clampdown on the loopholes in the existing?

Why is the goverment so concerned about credit card fraud... That's a problem for the greedy credit card companies, not for the government.

Lastly, no matter how good the technology they use eventually, because it will take such a long time to develop and implement (like anything this government dabbles with) the criminals will be one step ahead anyway, because they can adapt to new technologies so quickly.

Perhaps very little seems to be done because - WE pay for it !! (like the uninsured drivers and their cost)
Someone nicks your ID or card, they buy things off a company, the company gets paid so they are ok, the Bank refunds you- if you are lucky - then they just up the charges across the board to cover.
So again, as the high street bank robbery draws hoards of cops, whereas your burglary may attract little official attention beyond a crime number... Business comes out ok, Joe Public pays the price ... good innit ?
;)

Back