condensing boiler gas supply is 15mm ok

I daresay tonybhoy is spot on with his numbers.

But anyone who installs knows that the tables are miles out. Then the outlet of the meter is usually small, etc etc.
I usually work it out, then go the next size up!

FOr example, I just put in a 28kw combi.
20metres of 28mm pipe, all completely deburred, 10 elbows, and a little 22mm coming off the meter.
Drop shows the pipe is undersized. Go figure.

According to WB,30mtrs (equivalent length) of 28MM will deliver 4.7m3/h so you just about ok at 3.2 m3/h (30 CDI-30.9KW) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It is a Glow worm 38cxi

Regardless of what anyone says, if your boiler is supplied with a 22mm tail for the gas connection, then all MI's usually state that you must not connect to a gas supply that is smaller than the tail they have supplied.

What boiler is it?

to go out side would require going around two chimneys and into a conservertory

as already mentioned...cant it go on the outside of the house and through the wall near the boiler...or up into the loft and down to the boiler (albeit more elbows etc, but a few more lengths of 28mm will be cheaper than taking shower out and tiles )

Looks like there are 2 conversations going on here.

What do you guys think about the ops suggestion of taking the pipe outside?

It will likely want extra protection if you do that wont it.......

Sponsored Links
ive had this problem on a few jobs and the corgi inspector actually assessed me on a vaillant 824 that had 6m on 15mm pipe with no other appliance on. He said it was'nt a problem (as did vaillant technical) as long as the gas inlet and gas rates could be achieved at maximum rate. The 824 actually has a 15 mm inlet. When it has looked a bit dodgy i always explain this and say if we cant get the right pressure and rates then a new gas pipe will have to be run.
like a few others on here have stated theres no reason it cant be run outside if its possible. If its not a huge job and mess to change the pipe though i would personally change it to 22mm or higher if needed

Looks like there are 2 conversations going on here.

What do you guys think about the ops suggestion of taking the pipe outside?

It will likely want extra protection if you do that wont it.......

Outside could be the way to go however depends on loads of stuff like distance etc.

No you don't need to protect the pipe unless there is vehicular traffic or similar likely to damage it.

Tony.

As it's a 38Kw then You can forget the 15mm and possibly 22mm, depending on how long the run is. If this has the same tails as the Vaillant 438 then the gas will be 22mm off the boiler.

This boiler will need 4m3/hr gas supply to work properly.

The tail off the boiler is 15mm

As it's a 38Kw then You can forget the 15mm and possibly 22mm, depending on how long the run is. If this has the same tails as the Vaillant 438 then the gas will be 22mm off the boiler.

<<<FOr example, I just put in a 28kw combi.
20metres of 28mm pipe, all completely deburred, 10 elbows, and a little 22mm coming off the meter.
Drop shows the pipe is undersized. Go figure.>>>

It has been known in cases like this to give the meter governor a tweak!

22mm from meter to boiler, End of story.

22mm from meter to boiler, End of story.

end of story my ass :eek:

22mm is good for a 38Kw boiler up to a maximum 15m less any bends, you would almost certainly require 28mm if its going outside.

How come nobody has mentioned 35mm?

Anyhow, if someone wants to use 15mm to feed a combi boiler, well no probs. It is a free country (me thinks), you can do what you like.

Just now finished a call where the inlet pressure at the boiler is 11.5mbars with no other appliances running. Boiler is a 28kw combi on a 15mm gas line. 22mm pipe goes through the wall from the gas meter. House heating poor and hot water delivery miserable.

Sorry John. You know I am no good at understanding english. I would do better if the post was in swahilli.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back